Caramel Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chocolate Caramel Buttercream Frosting are too amazing to pass up! Pillowy soft pumpkin cupcakes that are filled up with a smooth caramel sauce, For the finishing touch, we are frosting them with a chocolate and caramel buttercream frosting. Yum to the extreme.
I do realize that this is the second pumpkin recipe this week, but, in my defense, it’s October. That means, well, sharing pumpkin recipes. Don’t worry! I won’t be wacking you guys over the head with them much…this will be it for a bit.
However, if you do want to explore more pumpkin treats, be sure to check out the recipe index.
- Flour + Baking soda + Baking powder + Salt
- Ground cinnamon + Salt
- Egg + Vanilla
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin puree
- Caramel sauce
- Powdered sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
Caramel Sauce: Make it Homemade! It’s easy and tastes pretty amazing. If you don’t want to take the time, go with your favorite jarred stuff.
Pumpkin: Be sure it’s real pureed pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix.
How to Fill Your Cupcakes:
- First, make your cupcakes cooled completely.
- Next, with a small sharp knife or with a piping tip (I use a 1M), cut a hole in the middle of the cupcake. Don’t go too deep…just about 1/4-1/2 inch. Remove that small piece of cupcake. I like to use a butter knife for this..works like a charm.
- Fill that hole with caramel sauce. You don’t want to overload it, but , want to add enough to taste. About a teaspoon should do it.
- Finally, place that small piece of cupcake back on top. You can then frost the cupcakes.
- Need a visual? See this post.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, then, cooled
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- dash of salt
- 1-2 TBSP milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 count muffin pan or line with liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Then, add in vanilla pumpkin and melted butter. Beat until fully combined.
- Gradually fold in (don't beat!) flour mixture and fold until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before filling/frosting.
Fill the Cupcakes:
- Take a frosting tip ( I use a 1M) and cut out a hole in the middle of your cupcake. If you don't have a tip, use a small sharp knife. You don't want to cut too deep, about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch.
- Using a butter knife ,gently remove your piece of cupcake.
- Fill with the about a teaspoon of caramel sauce. Gently place your piece of cupcake back on top, then, frost.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add in caramel sauce. Beat to combine.
- Gradually, add in cocoa powder, powdered sugar and salt. Add in 1 tablespoon of milk. Continue beating until the frosting is creamy and if needed, add in another tablespoon of milk to reach desired consistency.
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 398mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate