Ho Ho Cake! All the great flavors of the classic “Ho-Ho” dessert in cake form!
Early Warning: It’s nearly impossible to eat just one bite or one piece of this cake. It’s heaven in a pan people!
The Ingredients List:
- Flour + Baking soda+Salt
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Canola oil
- Vanilla + White vinegar
- Chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
Cake Base Options:
- There are three ways you can make the cake base for this recipe.
- First, you can make it from scratch. The ingredients/instructions for my favorite is in the recipe card below.
- Second, you can use you own favorite chocolate cake recipe for a large sheet cake.
- Third, a chocolate cake mix. Yep, simply use a standard size box of chocolate cake mix with the ingredients called for on the box. Use the same pan size, baking time and temperature as below, then, proceed with recipe as for filling and frosting.
A few recipe notes:
- Keep a close eye when you are making the filling. The milk/flour mixture can burn quickly. It should be the consistency of pudding when it’s ready to be mixed with the other ingredients.
- Don’t forget to refrigerate the cake after the filling is spread on. The filling will firm up as it cools and sets. This makes spreading the frosting much easier and less messy.
- Same for the frosting. It will seem soft when first applied, but, does firm up once it’s refrigerated. So, keep any leftovers in the fridge!
- FOR CAKE:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 TBSP white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- FOR FILLING:
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 5 TBSP flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- FOR FROSTING:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, then, cooled
- 3 oz chocolate chips, melted, then, cooled
- 2 TBSP milk
- 2 TBSP water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large (16-17 inch) flat rimmed baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, mix in flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Then, add in water, oil, vinegar and vanilla, Mix until fully combined. Spread batter on to baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cake before topping with filling and frosting.
- Combine milk and flour in a saucepan. Cook on low heat until it is pudding-like, stirring constantly. Once cooked, let it cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add in cooled milk/flour mixture. Beat on high for 5 minutes. Spread filling on cooled cake and refrigerate until filling is set (approx 30 minutes)
- Mix frosting ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined and smooth. Spread frosting on top of filling. Refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate