- Refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- Ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Roll Dough: I used standard Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls. Actually, two different types. The majority of rolls used were the one piece rolls. I did however, use a few rolls that unrolled. Both will work for this pie. I recommend sticking with the regular size rolls, not the “grands” version. You will need two packages, but, you probably won’t use all the rolls.
Apples: Chopped & peeled. A few varieties that work well in apple pie- – granny smith, jazz, pink lady golden delicious & jonagold. You are looking for an apple that is firm and tart. You can also use a combination of different types of apples.
How to Make + A Few Notes:
- First, remove the rolls from the package. With a rolling pin, roll each roll out flat.
- Then, layer the bottom and sides of the pie plate with the flattened rolls.
- Make your filling and pour it into that cinnamon roll pie crust. When making your filling, keep a close eye on it. It should only take about 5-8 minutes for it to thicken, but, will burn quickly!
- Next, add another layer of those flattened cinnamon rolls on top of the apples. Be sure to seal up any open holes with your fingertips.
- Cover and bake. Remove the cover and bake a bit more.
- Once done, let it cool for about 15 minutes. Then, drizzle the top with the icing from the packages.
- Cool for about 15 more minutes before serving. Your filling will seem a little messy when the pie is still warm. But, it will thicken up as it cools.
More Apples! 🍎
- Apple Walnut Cake
- Puff Pastry Apple Pie
- Apple Butter Bars with Cinnamon Glaze
- Apples Cookies with Browned Butter Frosting
- Creamy Apple Squares
- 2 packages- refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pie plate.
- Remove cinnamon rolls from package. Roll each with a rolling pin until flat. Layer the bottom and sides of the pie plate with flatten cinnamon rolls.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook apples, water, sugar, cornstarch, and ground cinnamon until thicken. This should take about 5-8 minutes. Watch the mixture carefully, to avoid burning. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into cinnamon roll pie shell.
- Layer the top of the apples with remaining flattened cinnamon rolls. Pinch the top of the rolls to seal any holes in the top crust.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let pie cool for about 15 minutes, then, drizzle top with icing from the cinnamon roll packages.
- Cool another 15 minutes before serving. The filling will thicken as it cools.
- Keep leftovers in refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 1g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate