Chocolate Banana Bread with Dark Chocolate Glaze! Chocolaty bread made with bananas and no refined sugar. Top it off with a glossy dark chocolate glaze for the perfect chocolate treat.
We continue our “no refined sugar” posts for January with banana bread of the chocolate variety.
Instead of regular white sugar, we are using coconut palm sugar.
What is Coconut Palm Sugar?
Coconut palm sugar is a natural sugar that comes from coconut palm sap. While it still is sugar, it is less refined/processed than white sugar. It also has a lower glycemic index.
What Other Ingredients are Needed?
- Flour: Both white & whole wheat. If you don’t have any whole wheat on hand, using white for the whole amount is fine.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Regular or dark will both work fine.
- Bananas: 3 ripe banana mashed or about 1 cup
- Baking soda + baking powder + Salt
- Eggs + Vanilla + Butter
- Dark chocolate chips + Honey (for glaze)
Just a couple of notes– – When purchasing coconut palm sugar, be sure to check the ingredients. Some are not natural palm sugar. The brand I like is noted in the recipe card.
Also, if you don’t wish to dive into coconut palm sugar, regular brown sugar will also work in this recipe.
Be sure not to over mix your batter! This may give you a dense bread.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 3 medium size ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 TBSP honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat bananas and sugar. Then, add in melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix until fully combined. Gradually add in flour mixture and beat just until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 32-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let bread cool for 30-45 minutes before adding glaze.
- To make glaze: In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips until smooth, then, mix in honey and stir to fully combined. Spread on top of bread.
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate