Creamy Apple Squares are creamy and sweet! These delicious bars start with a cake mix and are a snap to make.
Many years ago, I found this recipe in a stash of recipes owned by my great aunt, my grandmother’s sister. I know that people usually get family recipes from their grandmother, but, I did not.
My grandma did not bake and barely ever cooked. However, she always had a bowl of hard candy on her coffee table and frequently bought us White Castle when we would visit her. Who needed recipes, right? 😉
Anyway, when I first read it, they sounded not so appetizing. I mean, sour cream and apples?! Ugh. But, I made them and was pleasantly surprised at how delicious they were. Nowadays, I use plain Greek yogurt for them, but, they are just as delicious.
The Ingredients List:
- Yellow cake mix
- Butter ( softened)
- Apples ( peeled and sliced)
- Ground cinnamon
- Brown sugar
- Plain Greek yogurt ( or sour cream)
How to Make Creamy Apple Squares:
- First, mix the dry cake mix with softened butter until crumbly. Then, remove 2/3 cup of that mixture and set it aside.
- Next, take the remaining cake mix/butter crumbs and press down firmly into your greased pan.
- Layer the sliced apples on top of that crust.
- In a bowl, whisk together yogurt ( or sour cream) and egg. Then, spread that on top of the sliced apples.
- Remember that reserved 2/3 cup of cake mix/butter crumbs? Mix it with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Then, sprinkle it on top of it all.
- Bake it. Now, these are best served warm, but, do let them cool for 15-30 minutes before serving to avoid burning the roof of your mouth with hot apples. #trustme
Used in this Recipe:
- Topped with Maple Cream ( caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream also go great with them!)
- Parchment paper
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium size apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine cake mix and butter in a mixing bowl. Mix until crumbly. Reserve 2/3 cup of cake/butter mixture in a separate bowl. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to 2/3 cup mixture. Mix well. Set aside.
- Take remaining cake mixture and press evenly on the bottom of baking dish. Then,layer sliced apples on top of that cake mixture base.
- In a separate bowl, blend yogurt or sour cream and egg until well mixed. Spread cream mixture evenly over sliced apples.
- Top off with cinnamon/brown sugar cake mixture.Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Best served warm. Keep leftovers in fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate