Creamy Apple Squares are creamy and sweet! These delicious bars start with a cake mix and are a snap to make.
Many years ago, I found this recipe in a stash of recipes owned by my great aunt, my grandmother’s sister. I know that people usually get family recipes from their grandmother, but, I did not.
My grandma did not bake and barely ever cooked. However, she always had a bowl of hard candy on her coffee table and frequently bought us White Castle when we would visit her. Who needed recipes, right? 😉
Anyway, when I first read it, they sounded not so appetizing. I mean, sour cream and apples?! Ugh. But, I made them and was pleasantly surprised at how delicious they were. Nowadays, I use plain Greek yogurt for them, but, they are just as delicious.
The Ingredients List:
- Yellow cake mix
- Butter ( softened)
- Apples ( peeled and sliced)
- Ground cinnamon
- Brown sugar
- Plain Greek yogurt ( or sour cream)
How to Make Creamy Apple Squares:
- First, mix the dry cake mix with softened butter until crumbly. Then, remove 2/3 cup of that mixture and set it aside.
- Next, take the remaining cake mix/butter crumbs and press down firmly into your greased pan.
- Layer the sliced apples on top of that crust.
- In a bowl, whisk together yogurt ( or sour cream) and egg. Then, spread that on top of the sliced apples.
- Remember that reserved 2/3 cup of cake mix/butter crumbs? Mix it with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Then, sprinkle it on top of it all.
- Bake it. Now, these are best served warm, but, do let them cool for 15-30 minutes before serving to avoid burning the roof of your mouth with hot apples. #trustme
Used in this Recipe:
- Topped with Maple Cream ( caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream also go great with them!)
- Parchment paper
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium size apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine cake mix and butter in a mixing bowl. Mix until crumbly. Reserve 2/3 cup of cake/butter mixture in a separate bowl. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to 2/3 cup mixture. Mix well. Set aside.
- Take remaining cake mixture and press evenly on the bottom of baking dish. Then,layer sliced apples on top of that cake mixture base.
- In a separate bowl, blend yogurt or sour cream and egg until well mixed. Spread cream mixture evenly over sliced apples.
- Top off with cinnamon/brown sugar cake mixture.Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Best served warm. Keep leftovers in fridge.
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate