Puff Pastry Apple Pie: The classic pie made with a semi homemade short cut. The crust is made from flaky puff pastry dough, plus, your filling is packed full of sweet apples and cinnamon.
Happy September! It’s time for fall!
This means = cooler weather, sweatshirts, everything pumpkin, apple picking and of course, pie season. Yay! ♡
Let’s kick off this wonderful time of year with apple pie.
Ingredients List for Your Pie:
Puff Pastry: The easiest way for this ingredient is go pre made. You can find frozen puff pastry sheets in the freezer section in your local grocery store. You can also make homemade puff pastry dough. To be honest, I’ve never attempted to make it, but, do know, that it is time consuming.
If you wish to give it a try, here is a recipe for homemade puff pastry. Just to note: I haven’t tried this recipe. If you do, please let me know how it worked for you.
Apples: Chopped & peeled. A few varieties that work well in apple pie- – granny smith, jazz, pink lady golden delicious & jonagold. You are looking for an apple that is firm and tart. Yes, you can use a combination of different types!
Sugar + Vanilla+ Water
Cornstarch + Ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Sugar: This is an optional topping to sprinkle on top. Simply mix approx 1/4 cup white sugar with 1 tsp of ground cinnamon to make.
Egg wash: Whisk together one egg with about a tablespoon of water.
A few recipe notes:
- When making your filling, keep a close eye on it. It should only take about 5-8 minutes for it to thicken, but, will burn quickly!
- Your filling will seem a little messy when the pie is still warm. But, it will thicken up as it cools.
- Optional: Whipped cream for garnish. Make it homemade! It’s really easy and will save you a little money. You can also topped with caramel sauce or vanilla ice cream
Happy Fall 🍎
- 2 sheets, puffed pastry, thawed
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg + 1 TBSP water ( for eggwash)
- cinnamon sugar, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie plate.
- Roll out 1 sheet of puffed pastry. Roll out flat and seal seams together with a few teaspoons of water.
- Lay into the bottom of the pie plate. Trim off any overhang with kitchen scissors.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook apples, water, sugar, cornstarch, and ground cinnamon until thicken. This should take about 5-8 minutes. Watch the mixture carefully, to avoid burning. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Roll out the second sheet of puffed pastry. Again, rolling out flat and sealing any seams with water.
- Place on top of fruit filling and pinch edges to seal. Lightly poke holes in the top with a fork.
- Whisk together egg and water for egg wash and brush on the top of the pie.
- If desired, sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Let pie cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Pie filling with thicken was it cools.
- Keep any leftovers in refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 4gSugar: 43gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate