Whole Wheat Cinnamon Scones are perfect for breakfast or a snack! Soft scones made with whole wheat flour, filled with cinnamon baking chips and topped with a sweet crunchy, sugary topping.
Scones are lovely, aren’t they?
They are the perfect addition to your breakfast, your snack or if you want, your dinner. Get a cup of tea (or coffee) and enjoy one any ole’ time of the day. Like I said, perfect!
Your Scone Ingredients List:
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking soda + baking powder + salt + ground cinnamon
- Coarse sugar
- Cinnamon baking chips
A Bunch of Recipe Notes:
I like to make the dough for scones using my food processor. It’s quick and makes the process super simple. You can also mix the dough with just a regular mixing bowl. The recipe has instructions for both methods.
My scones were made with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Regular milk will work just fine, but, your nutritional information will be different.
Be sure your butter is cold. Not frozen! If you are using a mixing bowl for your dough, use a pastry cutter (affiliate) or two sharp knives to cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients.
Do not over mix your dough. This will give you a dense scone. If you are using a food processor, just pulse to mix the ingredients, not full speed.
If you can’t locate cinnamon baking chips in your local grocery store (in the chocolate chips section), check out the recipe card below for a link to Amazon. You can also buy cinnamon baking bits from King Arthur Flour.
Grab a scone and enjoy-
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- coarse sugar and milk, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a flat rimmed baking sheet with silicone mats or parchment.
- In a food processor , add in flour, sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Pulse to combined.
- Then, add in butter pieces and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Mix in cinnamon chips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Then, add into food processor. Pulse until dough forms.
- On a well floured surface, divide dough into 2 equal size discs. Cut each disc into 4 wedges. Place each wedge separately on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops with milk, then, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 20-25 minutes.
TO MIX IN BOWL:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Then, with a pastry cutter or two knives, cut butter into the mixture until crumbly. Mix in cinnamon chips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Then, add into dry ingredients and stir until dough forms.
- Continue recipe as noted in steps 5-6 above.
- adapted from King Arthur Flour
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 6g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate