Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Brownies- – Chocolaty brownies made with dark chocolate, whole wheat flour and minimal butter. A delicious treat with a little less guilt.
Fun fact- -we love dark chocolate at my house.
Actually, we love milk chocolate, semi sweet chocolate and white chocolate, too. But, dark chocolate always seems to the preferred when it comes to baking. It has a much deeper chocolate flavor and has a few health benefits.
Yes, health benefits! Check them out.
These brownies not only have dark chocolate, they are made with whole wheat flour, require less than 1/2 cup of butter and only need one egg.
Eek! They are also delicious.
Your ingredients list:
- Whole wheat flour + salt + baking soda
- Sugar + vanilla
- Unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Dark chocolate chips
A few notes:
- These brownies are more on the “cakey” side than “gooey” when it comes to texture.
- If you don’t have a 9 x 9 baking pan, you can use an 8 x 8 instead. Just increase your baking time 8-10 minutes.
- While I do recommend using dark chocolate chips and dark cocoa powder with these, you can use regular cocoa and semi sweet chips with this recipe as well.
- Same goes with the flour. You can repalce the whole wheat with regular AP flour or do a split. Use 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat.
- If you do either of the above changes, the nutritional information in the recipe card will be different.
Love Dark Chocolate? Try These Too ↷
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan.
- In a saucepan, melt butter with 1 cup of chocolate chips until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda. Then, add in egg, sugar and applesauce. Mix to combine. Add in melted chocolate/butter mixture and stir well. Be sure everything is well incorporated, but, don't over mix the batter.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and top with a few tablespoons of chocolate chips.
- Bake 28-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate