Olive Oil Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting- A moist layer cake made with olive oil instead of traditional butter or canola oil. The final touch? A creamy chocolate buttercream frosting that goes perfectly with it!
It’s a “let’s have a big slice of cake” kinda day. Don’t you think?
Honestly, for me, it is. Because, truth time- – I had a slice for breakfast. I don’t normally do that, but, gosh, this cake is really yummy and I couldn’t resist sneaking a slice. 🤭
What Ingredients are Needed?
- Flour + Salt+ Baking soda+Baking powder
- Plain Greek yogurt ( or sour cream)
- Olive oil
- Additional for frosting: Unsweetened cocoa powder, butter, milk & powdered sugar
Do I Have to Use Olive Oil? No, if you don’t want to use it, feel free to replace it with the same amount of melted butter.
No Powdered Sugar on Hand? Make it homemade!
Don’t Want to Make a Layer Cake? This batter can also be use for a 9 x 13 pan, cupcakes or a bundt pan. Check out the notes in the recipe card for baking times.
Alternatives to Chocolate Buttercream Frosting?
This cake will go great with a whole variety of frostings! A few ideas to check out ↴
- Chocolate Rum Buttercream
- Matcha Frosting
- Brown Sugar Buttercream
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Fresh Strawberry Buttercream
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2- 9 inch round baking pans.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Then, mix in yogurt, oil, water, vanilla and eggs.
- Mix until just combined and most lumps are removed.
- Spread batter evenly into baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter and vanilla until creamy. On low speed, gradually add in cocoa powder and sugar. Add in milk until desired consistency is reached. Frost on cooled cake.
- For 9 x 13 baking pan: Bake 20-25 minutes
- For bundt: Bake 40-45 minutes
- For cupcakes (24): Bake 20-25 minutes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 674Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 104gFiber: 2gSugar: 74gProtein: 10g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate