Microwave Layer Cake- You can make a cake in your microwave? Yes! It only takes about 5 minutes and it tastes amazing. All you need is a box of cake mix, a few simple supplies and your creativity.
Usually, if I make a “baked” dessert in the microwave, it’s a single serving and quite possibly, in a mug. I would have never thought making a layer cake in the microwave would be possible. Well, it’s possible. I mean, you could probably cook/bake anything in the microwave, but, would it be worth eating?
To my surprise and delight, making a whole layer cake in the microwave is possible and more importantly, worth eating.
What Ingredients are Needed?
- Cake Mix
- Plain Greek yogurt
Any flavor will work. Just be sure to stick with a standard size box, for cooking time accuracy.
Dairy or non-dairy ( almond, cashew, etc) will both work
Plain Greek Yogurt
Sour cream will also work.
- 2- 8 inch microwave safe baking dishes + your favorite way to grease them
- Mixing bowl + Spoon for mixing
- Measuring cups + spoons
I used a glass 8 x 8 baking dish ( ex: Pyrex) for ours. I only have one. So, I made the first layer, let it cool a bit, then, removed it from the dish. Then, made the second layer. You can use any type of dish you have on hand, just be sure it’s microwave safe and about 8 to 9 inches in size.
How to Make
- First, make batter. You don’t even need to pull out your big mixer for this cake! A good size mixing bowl and wooden spoon will do the trick.
- Once it’s made, divide the batter evenly into two 8-9 inch greased microwave safe dishes. Cook each one in the microwave at full power for 5 minutes.
- If a toothpick inserted comes out clean, it’s done. If not, cook for just an additional one or two minutes.
- Remember, all microwaves aren’t created equal, so, your cooking time may vary. Once fully done, let the cake layers cool completely before frosting.
- 1 box, dry cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Grease 2- 8 inch microwave safe dishes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together dry cake mix, eggs, milk and yogurt until fully blended.
- Divide batter evenly into dishes. Cook each one for 5 minutes at full power or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Carefully remove cakes from dishes and let cool completely before frosting.
Cooking time may vary, depending on the size/wattage/brand of your microwave.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 8g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate