Eggnog Cupcakes with Chocolate Rum Buttercream Frosting are just right for the holidays! Soft cupcakes baked with creamy eggnog and topped off with a chocolate buttercream frosting with a hint of rum.
This past year or so, I added Vodka Pasta to our dinner rotation menu. It’s just so good. But, I kid you not, a few of my children, freaked out.
Fun fact: We don’t drink alcohol in my house. Therefore, there is not any alcohol in my house.
Except for the vodka. Which is for the pasta and homemade vanilla. But, mostly, for the pasta.
I suppose this is why they were a bit freaked out. But, once I explained to them that “no, you will not get drunk from this pasta” and “no, it’s not illegal for me to feed you vodka in a pasta sauce”, they were ok with it all.
What does this have to do with these cupcakes? Essentially, nothing. However, this frosting does have rum in it. You know, more alcohol. 😉
However, it’s not real rum. It’s just extract. Although, feel free to use real rum thing, if you desire.
- Flour + Salt+ Baking Powder
- Sugar + Vanilla
- Butter flavored shortening
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Powdered sugar
- Rum extract
As mentioned above, if you wish, you can use real rum for this recipe. Your choice!
Butter Flavor Shortening
I like to use Crisco butter flavored baking sticks in my frosting. Regular shortening will also work.
- If you don’t want to use rum for the frosting, replace it with milk or eggnog.
- Be sure your butter & shortening are soft before beating.
- Do not over mix your batter. Beat just until it’s combined, to avoid dense cupcakes.
Can I Freeze These Cupcakes?
Yes. Let the cupcakes cool completely. Store plain (not frosted!) cupcakes in a freezer safe, covered container. They will stay good for a couple of months.
Store any leftover frosting in a covered container in the refrigerator. I do not recommend freezing the frosting.
🤔 Looking for a different kind of frosting? Check out a whole bunch of ideas in the recipe index.
- 2 cups flour
- dash of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tsp rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 count cupcakes pan or line with papers.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla. Mix to combined.
- Gradually, add in flour mixture and eggnog. Alternating between the two. Beat until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening until creamy. Then, add in extract, powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Beat until fully combined and creamy.
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 1gSugar: 49gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate