Eggnog Cupcakes with Chocolate Rum Buttercream Frosting are just right for the holidays! Soft cupcakes baked with creamy eggnog and topped off with a chocolate buttercream frosting with a hint of rum.
This past year or so, I added Vodka Pasta to our dinner rotation menu. It’s just so good. But, I kid you not, a few of my children, freaked out.
Fun fact: We don’t drink alcohol in my house. Therefore, there is not any alcohol in my house.
Except for the vodka. For the pasta. Oh..and homemade vanilla! But, mostly, for the pasta.
I suppose this is why they were a bit freaked out. But, once I explained to them that “no, you will not get drunk for this pasta” and “no, it’s not illegal for me to feed you vodka in a pasta sauce”, they were ok with it all.
What does this have to do with these cupcakes? Essentially, nothing, but, the frosting does have rum in it. You know, more alcohol.
However, it’s not real rum. It’s just extract. Although, feel free to use real rum in your frosting, if you wish.
What Other Ingredients are Needed?
- Flour + Salt+ Baking Powder
- Sugar + Vanilla
- for frosting:
- Butter + Butter flavored shortening
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Powdered sugar
- Rum ( extract or the real stuff)
A few notes:
- If you don’t want to use rum for the frosting, replace it with milk or eggnog.
- Be sure your butter & shortening are soft before beating.
- Do not over mix your batter. Beat just until it’s combined, to avoid dense cupcakes.
- Store any leftover frosting in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- FOR CUPCAKES:
- 2 cups flour
- dash of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup eggnog
- FOR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tsp rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 count cupcakes pan or line with papers.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla. Mix to combined.
- Gradually, add in flour mixture and eggnog. Alternating between the two. Beat until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening until creamy. Then, add in extract, powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Beat until fully combined and creamy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 1gSugar: 49gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate