Buttermilk Cupcakes with Matcha Frosting- – Soft vanilla buttermilk cupcakes topped with a creamy matcha frosting. A delicious twist to a regular cupcake!
To finish out this really crazy week, I decided to make cupcakes. Because, well, I love cupcakes and um, well, yeah, I love them.
They are just yummy and fun. 🤷
These cupcakes are a classic vanilla buttermilk and are frosted with matcha frosting.
Have you ever baked with matcha powder? This is my first time and honestly, I really like it. It gave the frosting a light green tea flavor and a lovely color. It also has a few health benefits.
What’s Matcha Powder?
- A fine powder that comes from ground up green tea leaves.
Full Ingredients List:
- Flour + Salt+ Baking powder
- Powdered sugar
- Matcha powder
A few notes:
- Matcha powder can be costly. Shop around in your local health or specialty store. I purchased mine from Amazon (see recipe card) and it wasn’t very pricey. It was smaller package, but, that worked out just fine! I only needed 1 teaspoon for this recipe and have plenty left over for future use.
- If you don’t want to make the matcha frosting, check out the recipe index for more frosting ideas. These cupcakes will go great with just about any flavor.
- No buttermilk on hand? Simply mix 2/3 cup milk with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Then, let it sit for 5 minutes before adding to batter.
- Don’t over mix your batter. Simply mix until no dry spots are left. Over mixing can give you dense cupcakes.
Try these Cupcakes too:
- Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Chocolate Filling
- Olive Oil Cupcakes
- Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
- German Chocolate Cupcakes
linking up and weekend potluck
Buttermilk Cupcakes with Matcha Frosting
Buttermilk Cupcakes with Matcha Frosting- - Soft vanilla buttermilk cupcakes topped with a creamy matcha frosting. A delicious twist to a regular cupcake!
- 2 cups flour
- dash of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp matcha culinary powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 count cupcakes pan or line with papers.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla. Mix to combined.
- Gradually, add in flour mixture and buttermilk. Alternating between the two.
- Beat until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Then, add in vanilla, powdered sugar and matcha powder. Beat until fully combined and creamy. If desired, add more powdered sugar to taste. Frost on cooled cupcakes.
- frosting adapted from Food52
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate
Tuesday 24th of September 2019
Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday,450. Hope you are having a great week and come back to see us soon! Miz Helen