Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting–The classic spring dessert! Soft cake filled with carrots and crunchy chopped walnuts. A thick layer of an amazing cream cheese frosting is the perfect way to top it off.
It’s March and that means, carrot cake season is upon us! 🥕 🥕
This moist cake is just right for your spring holidays or a weeknight dessert. Plus, the frosting?! It’s beyond yummy. 🧡
- Flour + Salt+ Baking soda + Ground cinnamon
- Sugar ( both white & brown)
- Shredded carrots
- Chopped walnuts
- Additional for frosting: Powdered sugar and Cream cheese
A few notes:
- 3 cups of shredded carrots= approx 3 carrots or a 12 oz package of baby carrots
- Walnuts are optional! If you don’t wish to mix them into the batter, you can omit them and simply garnish the top of the cake with them instead. Also, pecans can be used in place of them.
- Be sure your butter and cream cheese are softened for the frosting. This will give the frosting its creamy texture.
- If desired, canola/vegetable oil can be used in place of the melted butter.
- This batter can also be used for a 9 inch layer cake. Grease 2- 9 inch round pans and divide batter evenly between them. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Any leftover frosting should be stored in a covered container, in the refrigerator. Same goes for the cake.
- FOR CAKE:
- 2 cups flour
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- FOR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat melted butter, both sugars and vanilla. Then, add in eggs. and beat until mixed. Add in flour mixture and beat until combined. Stir in shredded carrots and walnuts. Mix until fully combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add in vanilla. Gradually, add in powdered sugar and beat until fully combined. Frost on cooled cake.
- Store leftovers in covered container in refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 2gSugar: 50gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate