Lemon Cupcakes with Lavender Buttercream Frosting are bursting with the sweet flavors of the season. Soft, lemon cupcakes that are topped with a creamy buttercream frosting with the subtle taste of lavender.
Fact: I like cupcakes.
Correction: I LOVE cupcakes. ❤️ 🧁
When it comes to baking, they are my favorite things to create. They are just fun. Of course, being they are an easy transportable dessert, too, makes them a perfect dessert.
I’m just forewarning you guys now: there may be multiple cupcake recipes on this site. Hope you don’t mind. 😉
Our first cupcake recipe is for another one of my favorites, lemon. These also have the added bonus flavor of a lavender buttercream frosting.
Have you ever baked with lavender before?
A few things to note about lavender:
- Be sure to use culinary lavender. You can also use lavender for candles, soaps, etc. So, be sure it’s the stuff that is safe to eat.
- Don’t go overboard with it. A small amount will give you plenty of flavor.
- If you use dried lavender, be sure to chop it very fine. You don’t want to be eating large pieces of lavender in your dessert!
- For this recipe: I used lavender extract, but, you can use dried culinary lavender in place of it. Use 1 teaspoon (finely chopped!)
- The lavender products I used can be found at the bottom of the recipe card.
Lemon Lover? Check these Out!
- Mini Lemon Pies
- Lemon Meringue Pie for One
- Lemon Loaf Cake
- Lemon Buttermilk Bars
- Two Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
- Crustless Lemon Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- zest from 4 lemons
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 tsp lavender extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 TBSP milk
- purple food coloring, optional
- Culinary dried lavender, optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 count muffin pan or line with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. . Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.. Add in egg and egg whites, then, vanilla and lemon zest. Gradually, add in flour mixture, milk and lemon juice. Alternating between the three. Beat until fully combined.
- Divide batter evenly into pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter until fluffy. Gradually, add in powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Add in lavender extra, food coloring and milk. Adding/subtracting milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost on cooled cupcakes. If desired, garnish with culinary dried lavender before serving.
- adapted from pioneer woman/how sweet eats
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 49gProtein: 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate