Lemon Buttermilk Bars–Sweet lemon bars with a bit of extra tang courtesy of buttermilk.
I fear my lemon themed posts are jinxing mother nature here in the Northern part of Vermont. My last lemon recipe started with “we woke up to a few inches of snow today”. That was the end of March.
Well, today, it’s mid-April and guys…we woke up to snow today. Not a bunch, but, enough to cover the grass and give us a reminder that winter is not quite done around here just yet.
That’s OK. I’m still diving into these lemon buttermilk bars like it’s a mild 65 degrees, the birds are singing and flowers are blooming. A girl can dream 🙂
- Flour + Salt
- Powdered sugar
Lemons: Have at least 3 lemons on hand for this one. You will need lemon juice and lemon zest. If needed, of course, you can use bottled lemon juice.
Buttermilk: This recipe requires a half a cup of buttermilk. In my area, finding a small container is pretty tough to do. To avoid buying a big bottle of it, I simply make it in my kitchen! Take a 1/2 cup of regular milk and stir in about a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Let it sit for 5 minutes before adding it to the mix. Works like a charm!
How to Make Lemon Buttermilk Bars:
- Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with foil. Then, spray the foil lightly with non stick cooking spray.
- Make your base. Mix softened butter with sugar, then, add in flour and salt. Spread the mixture into your prepared pan and bake. Once brown, remove it from the oven.
- Then, make your filling. It’s best to use your electric mixer for your filling, to ensure it’s well mixed. Pour the filling on top of the base. Make sure it’s evenly distributed.
- Bake again until the filling is set. You also want the edges to be just slightly brown. Remove them from the oven and cool about 10-15 minutes.
- Place your cooled bars in the refrigerator for 60 minutes to get cold. Before serving, dust the tops of the bars with powdered sugar.
Puck Up and Enjoy 🍋 🍋
- 6 TBSP ( 3/4 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- dash of salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP flour
- 2 eggs
- zest for 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup lemon juice ( juice from 2-3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with foil. Then, spray the foil lightly with non stick cooking spray.
- Make Base: In a mixing bowl, best butter and sugar until creamy. Then, add in flour and salt. Beat until completely mixed.
- Spread evenly into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or until brown.
- While crust is baking, make filling.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together sugar, flour, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add in buttermilk and beat until smooth.
- Once crust is brown, remove from oven. Pour lemon filling evenly on top.
- Cook an additional 20-25 minutes or until filling is set and edges are slightly brown.
- Let bars cool for about 10 minutes, then, refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Dust top of bars with powdered sugar before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate