Honey Wheat Muffins: No Refined Sugar- Delicious muffins made with whole wheat flour, sweet honey and zero refined sugar!
We are back for a new year and again this January, I’m sharing only recipes with no refined sugar.
No refined sugar? None of the recipes include white sugar, brown sugar or powdered sugar. Instead, they are sweetened with honey, maple syrup, or coconut palm sugar. Plus, any chocolate is dark.
What Ingredients are Needed?
- Whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- White flour + Baking powder + Salt
Flour: I tried making these with more wheat flour than white. In my opinion, they were too “wheaty” and were more of the consistency of a corn muffin. So, I made them again and used the ingredients listed below. They were much softer and more like a regular muffin.
With that said, please feel free to add/subtract the amount of wheat and white flour that you wish to use. Just be sure to stick with the same total measurements as listed in the recipe card.
A few more recipe notes:
- Milk: Regular dairy milk or almond milk will work with this recipe.
- No need to use your big electric mixer for these. Two good mixing bowls, a whisk and wooden spoon for mixing will do the job.
- Be sure not to over mix your batter. Simply stir the dry ingredients until no wet spots remain. This gives your muffins a softer texture.
- These muffins freeze well. Let the muffins cool completely, then, place in a freezer safe container with a lid or plastic storage bag. When ready to eat, simply heat up in the microwave or oven. They will stay good for several months.
More Whole Wheat Recipes:
- Whole Wheat Cinnamon Scones
- Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Brownies
- Crock Pot Wheat Bread
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup oil ( canola, vegetable or sunflower)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 count muffin pan or line with cupcake papers.
- In a bowl, whisk together both flours, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, honey, milk and oil. Add in flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pan ( fill wells about 3/4 full) . You should get approx 6-8 muffins. Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Keep leftovers in a covered container.
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate