Shortcut Baked Chocolate Doughnuts- Soft chocolate doughnuts that only need 3 ingredients! Yes, just 3. Top them off with your favorite frosting or eat them plain to satisfy your doughnut craving.
While I love baking homemade doughnuts, I do love a shortcut too. That is why today, we are baking doughnuts using a cake mix and honestly, not much else.
What ingredients are needed?
- Dry cake mix ( standard size box)
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Egg whites
What about the topping? That is up to you. I topped ours with canned chocolate frosting and canned buttercream frosting. Yes, I even took a shortcut of the topping. #NotAshamedtoAdmitIt
Hint about using canned frosting: Using your microwave ( remove foil first!) or a small saucepan, heat the frosting until it’s thinned out a bit. This should take less than a minute. Pour the frosting into a bowl and dip the tops of your doughnuts to coat.
Does this work with any flavor cake mix? Yes. If you don’t want to make chocolate doughnuts, you can use any flavor/brand. Just be sure to stick with a standard size box, approx 15-18 oz in size.
How many doughnuts does this make? I used a regular and mini size doughnut pans. We came out with 14 regular size doughnuts and 24 mini size.
Are these doughnuts really fat free? Yes, if they are plain. The nutritional information listed below will be different, depending on your topping/frosting.
Can these be frozen? Yes. Let them cool completely, then, place plain doughnuts in a freezer safe container/bag until your are ready to eat.
- Chocolate Glaze
- Salted Caramel
- Maple Glaze
- Double Glazed
- Nutella Glaze
- Dusting of powdered sugar or cocoa powder
- Whipped topping ( ex: Cool Whip)
- 1 box- chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large or mini doughnut pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix dry cake mix with yogurt and egg whites. Mix well, but, don't over mix. Your batter will be thick.
- Fill doughnut pan cavities about 2/3 full.
- Bake 8-10 minutes for large doughnuts or 6-8 minutes for mini doughnuts. Bake until tops spring back when touched.
- Let doughnuts cool completely before adding topping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 17Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate