Cinnamon Streusel Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting- Cinnamon lovers unite! Cinnamon cupcakes topped with a crunchy streusel and a dreamy cinnamon buttercream frosting.
Let’s jump right into these amazing cupcakes!
Your Ingredients List:
- Flour + Baking powder + Salt + Ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar
- Butter flavor shortening
Butter →You will need it for all three parts of this recipe:
- The Cupcake Batter: Make sure it’s softened
- The Streusel: Make sure it’s cold.
- The Frosting: Like the cupcake batter, it needs to be softened
Milk: Dairy or a non dairy ( ex: almond, cashew milk) can both be used.
Butter Flavored Shortening: I like to use Crisco butter flavored baking sticks in my frosting. Just a few tablespoons give the frosting a really creamy texture. Regular shortening will also work.
- First, mix together the dry ingredients ( flour, brown sugar and ground cinnamon).
- Then, cut the cold butter into the mixture. You can use a pastry cutter, two knives, a fork, or pulse the mixture a few times in your food processor. Need some help? How to Cut Butter into Flour.
- The object is to get the mixture to resemble about pea-size crumb mixture.
- You can make this any time before baking the cupcakes, just keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready for it.
- After you top the cupcake ( before baking) with the streusel, you will probably have some leftover. You can either garnish the frosting with some ( as seen in the photos) or simply keep the leftovers in a covered container in your refrigerator for future use.
✘ ✘ Don’t Forget! Over mixing your batter can give you dense cupcakes. Simply mix until there are no dry spots left in the batter.
More Cinnamon to Enjoy:
- Self Rising Flour Cinnamon Muffins
- Cinnamon Oat Muffins
- Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
- Whole Wheat Cinnamon Scones
- Mini Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Quick Bread
- FOR CUPCAKES:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cold
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 TBSP butter flavored shortening
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP milk or cream
- In a bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon for streusel. With a pastry butter, two knives or in a food processor, cut in cold butter. Continue until mixture is crumb like. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 count muffin pan or line with cupcake papers.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add in eggs, vanilla and milk. Beat until combined.
- Add in flour mixture and mix just until combined and no dry spots are left in the batter. Do no over mix.
- Divide batter evenly into pan. Top with with streusel and press down lightly. You may not use all the streusel. Keep leftovers for garnish.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
- Make Frosting: Beat butter and shortening until creamy. Add in vanilla and ground cinnamon. Mix to combine. Gradually, add in powdered sugar and milk. Beat until creamy and desired consistency is reached..
- Frost on cooled cupcakes and top with leftover streusel.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 141mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate