Honey Bun Cake- A soft vanilla cake with a brown sugar/cinnamon filling. It’s then topped off with a smooth powdered sugar glaze. A delicious cake that is great for a weeknight dessert or your next gathering.
Let’s start this off with a fact- – there is no honey in this cake.
The name honey bun comes from the classic snack cakes. Ex: Little Debbie A vanilla cake base and a brown sugar/cinnamon filling with a powdered sugar glaze. Just like this cake. 👍
- Yellow cake mix
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar
Can I Use Homemade Cake Mix?
- Yes! If desired, make your dry cake mix homemade. If you are going with the package, a standard size cake mix works best. Also, I use a yellow cake mix for this cake, but, vanilla will also do the trick.
Plain Greek Yogurt: None on hand? Use sour cream instead.
Butter: If you wish, you can replace the melted butter with a neutral tasting oil. Ex: Vegetable, canola, sunflower
How to Make + A Few Notes:
- Prepare your batter. It will be a bit thick. Take half of the batter and spread it into the bottom of a greased baking pan.
- Then, spread the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly on top.
- Take the remaining batter and spread it on top of the brown sugar mixture. This can be tricky. I spray a frosting spatula with non stick cooking spray and work slowly. If you get a bit of the brown sugar mixed in with the batter, that’s OK. Just do your best to cover all that brown sugar filling.
- Bake it!
- Remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Make your glaze and spread it evenly on the warm cake. It soaks it all in…yum.
- Let it cool for another 20-25 minutes before serving.
Leftovers: Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Try These Too:
- 1 box, yellow cake mix or homemade version
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, then, cooled
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP milk
- splash of vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon for filling. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together dry cake mix, eggs, melted butter and yogurt. Mix until fully combined. Your batter will be thick.
- Spread just half of the batter in the prepared pan. Then, sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly on top of that batter. Spread the remaining batter on top of the brown sugar mixture. Do your best to cover all the brown sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Make Glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Once the cake is done, let it cool for about 5 minutes. Then, spread the glaze evenly on top of the warm cake.
- Let the cake cool an additional 20-30 minutes before serving.
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 356mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate