Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls- Soft yeast cinnamon rolls that start with a cake mix. These sweeties are easy to prepare and are totally versatile. The work with any flavor cake mix and will quickly become your go-to homemade cinnamon roll recipe.
I love to make homemade cinnamon rolls, especially these. If you are intimidated by yeast breads/rolls, these are a great place to start. The cake mix gives you a nice shortcut. Plus, it also makes the dough soft and really easy to work with.
- Dry cake mix
- Warm water
- Dry active yeast
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar
WHAT SUPPLIES DO I NEED?
- Mixing bowl + Wooden spoon or Electric mixer + mixing bowl (see below recipe note)
- 2-Small bowls
- Rolling pin
- Sharp knife
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Pastry brush
- 9 x 13 baking pan
How to Make (full instructions in recipe card)
- In a bowl, dissolve your yeast with water.
- Then, in a mixing bowl,add in dry cake mix, a portion of the flour and yeast mixture. You will keep adding portions of the flour until your dough is formed and comes together in a ball shape.
- Cover your dough and let it rise for about an hour. It should double in size.
- When ready, gently punch down the dough and let it rest for 5-10 minutes
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle that should be approx 1/4 inch thickness.
- Brush the dough with melted butter, then, sprinkle with brown sugar/cinnamon.
- Next, roll the dough tightly into a log. Start with a long end and work slowly!
- With a sharp knife, slice into 12 rolls and place in your prepared baking dish.
- Let the roll rise until they have doubled in size. This could take 30 minutes to an hour.
- When they are ready..bake!
- Mix frosting ingredients and frost on warm rolls.
A few notes:
- This recipe will work with any flavor cake mix! Be sure to stick with a standard size box of cake mix for the below ingredients to work . It should be approx 18 oz in size.
- I used my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook for these rolls. However, you can make them in a regular mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
Love Sweet Rolls? Try these too:
- Salted Caramel Cinnamon Rolls ( No Refined Sugar)
- One Hour Cinnamon Rolls
- Oreo Sweet Rolls
- Mixed Berry Sweet Rolls
- FOR ROLLS:
- 1 box, dry cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- FOR FILLING:
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- FOR TOPPING:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3–4 TBSP milk
- 4 TBSP butter, melted
- 1 TSP vanilla
- In a small bowl, mix warm water with active yeast. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix dry cake mix with 2 cups of flour. Then, add in yeast mixture and mix until dough forms. Gradually, add in remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Mix until dough forms into a ball. However, you may not need all the remaining flour.
- Cover and let the dough sit in a warm place until it doubles in size. This should take about an hour.
- When ready, punch dough down slightly and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a rectangle, that is approx 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush the dough with melted butter, then, sprinkle with brown sugar and ground cinnamon.
- With the long side of the dough, roll tightly into a log shape. Cut the log into 12 separate rolls.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and place rolls in the prepared dish.
- Cover and let the rolls rise until doubled in size. This should take 30 minutes to 1 hour. When ready, bake rolls in a preheated 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until brown.
- Let rolls sit for 5-8 minutes before frosting.
- For frosting: In a bowl, whisk ingredients until smooth. Frost on warm rolls
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 106mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate