Chocolate Caramel Tart- A decadent tart with a chocolate cookie crust, gooey caramel filling and a smooth chocolate ganache topping. #toogoodtopassup
Let’s dive right into this lovely tart today!
The Ingredients List:
- Oreo cookies ( or brand equivalent)
- Whipping cream
- Brown sugar
- Chocolate chips
Don’t Have a Tart Pan? That’s OK! Use a 9 inch pie plate/pan. If you wish to invest in a tart pan, see the recipe card for the one I have ( and really like!).
The Crust: I prefer to bake my crust before adding the filling. However, it’s not necessary. If you want to avoid turning on your oven, simply let the crust sit in the freezer for 30 minutes instead.
Oreo Cookie Crust: If you don’t want a chocolate cookie crust, a simply graham cracker crust will also work for this tart.
A few notes about Making the Caramel Filling:
- Be sure to keep a very close eye on your saucepan and keep stirring frequently. It can burn quickly.
- Let the caramel sit for about 10 minutes after it’s completely done and be careful..it’s very hot!
- The caramel sauce will thicken as it cools.
Last note: The longer you can let the finished tart sit in the refrigerator before serving, the better. As it cools, the caramel will firm up and the chocolate sets. This makes it easier to cut and honestly, a little less messy.
Love an Oreo Cookie Crust? Try these too!
- Salted Chocolate Tart
- Oreo Eggnog Cheesecake Bars
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- No Bake Oreo Dessert
- Three Ingredient Hershey’s Pie
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cup Pie
- FOR CRUST:
- 24 Oreo cookies ( or brand equivalent)
- 6 TBSP butter, melted
- FOR CARAMEL FILLING:
- 12 TBSP ( 1 & 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 + 2 TBSP whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add Oreo cookies into your blender or food processor, and mix until they are fine crumbs.
- Add crumbs to a bowl and mix with 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Be sure the crumbs and butter are fully mixed and crumbs are moist.
- Press crumbs firmly into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch tart pan. Bake for 6 minutes to set. Remove from oven and let the crust cool.
- If you don't wish to bake the crust, place the prepared crust in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set.
FOR CARAMEL FILLING:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter with brown sugar. Let the mixture come to a boil, stirring frequently. Let it boil for 1 minute, again, stirring frequently.
- After 1 minute, remove from heat and stir in whipping cream. Return to the heat and again, let the mixture come to a boil and boil for just 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla and salt, while scraping down the sides of the saucepan. Let the caramel sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, then, spread evenly on top of cookie crust. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- Place chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl. Then, heat whipping cream in a saucepan. Let the cream come to a slight boil, then, remove from heat. Carefully, pour it over the chocolate chips. Whisk the mixture until the chocolate chips are completely melted and smooth.
- Spread melted chocolate over set caramel. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving...the longer, the better!
- Keep any leftovers in refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate