Turtle Candies! The classic candy made with pecans, caramel and chocolate.
I grew up with Fannie May turtles…golly, they are amazing! Crunchy pecans topped with a gooey soft caramel, then, drenched in chocolate.
While they are delicious, they aren’t easy for me to get anymore. So, I make these sometimes to satisfy my craving. They aren’t as fancy as the original, but, they sure are good!
- Halved pecans
- Chocolate chips
- Caramel candies
- Coarse sea salt (optional)
How To Make Your Turtle Candies: ( see photo collages)
First, line a flat rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. If you don’t have any parchment, you can use foil. If you are using foil, give it a light spray with non stick cooking spray.
Next, place two pecan halves next to each other and place a caramel candy directly in the middle of the pecan halves.
Place the pecans/caramels in a preheated oven to soften up the caramels. You don’t want them to melt..just soften. This should take 2-4 minutes, depending on your caramels.
Remove them from the oven and let them sit for a minute. Then, with the back of a spoon or even your fingers ( careful..it’s hot!), press lightly down on the caramel to flatten.
Place a few chocolate chips on top of the flatten caramels and put them back into the oven. Now, this will only take about a minute! You are getting the chocolate chips a little melt-y and easier to spread. If you chips are melting quickly, you can skip this second oven step and go right to smoothing it out.
Remove from the oven and smooth the chocolate with the back of a spoon. If desired, you can top them with coarse sea salt.
Let them sit until the chocolate is set.
- 36 pecan halves
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 18 caramel candies
- coarse sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a flat rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put two pecans next to each other on the baking. Place one caramel candy on top of the pecans, directly in the middle. . Continue with remainder of candies.
- Place baking sheet in oven for just 2-4 minutes. You only want to get the caramel soft..not totally melted.
- Remove from oven, wait for 1 minutes, then, gently press down on the caramels to flatten a bit. The back of a spoon works well for this. Then, add a few chocolate chips on top of the flatten caramel. Place back in the oven for just a minute or two. Remove from the oven and gently smooth the chocolate over the caramel. If desired, top with coarse sea salt.
- Let caramels sit until chocolate is set.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 1g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate