Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese- Skip the boxed version and indulge in homemade, creamy stove top macaroni and cheese.
Just a few ingredients
Can I Use Another Type of Pasta?
Yes. Elbow pasta is the classic noodle for mac and cheese, but, this sauce will work with any similar sized pasta. You can also use a whole wheat or gluten free variety.
Can I Use Any Kind of Cheese?
Yep. We like a sharp cheddar for ours. However, you can use any flavor you wish. I would stick with a cheese that melts well. For example, gouda, Colby, Monterey Jack, or fontina are good choices.
When you are making your sauce…keep a close eye on it and whisk it frequently. The milk can burn pretty quickly if you aren’t watching it!
Keep any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator. It is best eaten within 2-3 days. I do not recommend freezing this dish due to the cheese content. It could separate when reheating.
Serve it With
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt/pepper, to taste preference
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese ( or your favorite )
- Prepare elbow macaroni as instructed on box. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add in flour and whisk to combine. Cook them together for about two minutes.
- Whisk in onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and mustard. Increase the heat slightly and while whisking frequently, let the mixture thicken. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture is thicken, stir in shredded cheese. Continue until the sauce is smooth and the cheese is melted.
- Add in the cooked/drained pasta and mix well to combine.
- When your are making your sauce...keep a close eye on it and whisk it frequently. The milk can burn pretty quickly if you aren't watching it!
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 766mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 22g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate