Homemade Graham Crackers– Make the classic cracker right at home! A few simple ingredients and little time is all you need for these. Crispy, crackery and downright yummy. Forget the box stuff!
I’ve been wanting to make these since forever. I love to try to master making simple pantry items homemade and I can now say, I’ve successfully tackled graham crackers
Now, my graham crackers aren’t as pretty as the boxed version and next time, I need to make them a little thinner. But, honestly, they are really delicious and quite easy to make.
What Supplies are Needed?
- Mixing bowl + wooden spoon
- Rolling pin
- Flat rimmed baking sheet (s)- You will need 2. See the recipe card for the size/brand I used for mine. You will also need parchment paper or silicone mats for the pan (s).
- Sharp knife or pizza cutter
- Pastry brush
- Skewer or a round-stick for poking holes in the dough. I used a lollipop stick. Again, see the recipe card for the size/brand.
- Flour: White and Wheat
- Salt + Baking powder
- Sugar: I used coconut palm sugar, but, regular white sugar is just fine.
- Butter: Melted
- Additional for topping: Ground cinnamon
How to Make Homemade Graham Crackers
- Mix the dough just until it’s mixed ( don’t over mix). Once it’s mixed, knead it gently just a few times, then, cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for 1 hour. You can chill the dough for longer, if needed/desired.
- Once it’s chilled, remove from the refrigerator and divide it into two pieces. Take one piece of dough and on a floured surface, roll it out into a large flat piece. The thickness needs to be about 1/16 inches.
- Place the piece of dough on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the other piece of dough and place it on a separate baking sheet.
- Brush the dough with milk, then, sugar/cinnamon topping.
- Then, bake for 5 minutes. Rotate pans, bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven. Cut dough into rectangles and poke tops.
- Place them back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate pans, bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and open your oven door (don’t remove crackers!), just slightly. Leave it open for 3 minutes. Shut the oven door and leave crackers in the oven for 20 minutes to dry out.
- Take them out of the oven and let the cool completely on a wire rack. They will crisp up as they cool. Be sure to keep them in a covered container for storage.
Keep in an airtight, covered container. No need for a refrigerator. They are best eaten with a week or two.
Make Them Homemade
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Homemade Chocolate Syrup
- Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 15 Ways to Make Homemade Bread
- Homemade Marshmallows
- Homemade Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 TBSP milk
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TBSP milk
- In a mixing bowl, mix both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Then, add in egg, melted butter, honey and milk. Mix until just combined. Gently knead the dough a few times, then, cover bowl and place in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- When ready, preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 flat rimmed baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
- Split chilled dough into 2 separate pieces. Roll out one piece into a large flat sheet. It should be about 1/16 inch in thickness. Then, place flattened dough on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining piece of dough and place on another baking sheet.
- For Topping: Brush dough with milk, then, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then, rotate pans. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven. Cut dough into rectangles and poke tops with a skewer or any rounded sticks.
- Place back into oven and bake 10 minutes. Rotate pans and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn off oven and open the oven door slightly for 3 minutes. Close the oven door and let crackers sit in the oven for 20 minutes to dry out. Remove from oven and let the cool completely on a wire rack.
- Keep crackers in a sealed container.
- adapted from land o lakes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 47mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate