Scotcheroos Muddy Buddies- Crunchy cereal drenched in chocolate, peanut butter and butterscotch. Then, it’s coated in powdered sugar and cocoa powder! Holy Cow..it’s good.
What the heck are scotcheroos? Well, if you haven’t tried them, you are missing out. They are no bake bars that are made with crispy rice cereal and peanut butter. Then, they are topped with a combination of melted chocolate and butterscotch chips.
My mom made them throughout my childhood and I continue the tradition with my kids. Want the recipe? Scotcheroos Recipe
This cereal mix has all the great flavors of those amazing bars, but, it’s in muddy buddy form.
Muddy Buddies? Sometimes referred to as puppy chow or monkey munch. It can be made in a huge variety of flavor combinations. Most of the varieties are coated in powdered sugar.
- Rice or Corn cereal Ex: “Chex” type cereal
- Peanut butter: creamy
- Butterscotch chips
- Powdered sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips
A few notes:
- Drizzling the top with chocolate chips is optional. If you don’t have any on hand of just wish to leave them out, the mix is still amazing without them.
- I used a gallon size bag for coating the cereal mix with powdered sugar. I also split the cereal mix in half and did it in two separate batches. This helps with containing the mess and coats the cereal better.
- Don’t hesitate to use more powdered sugar if your cereal mix isn’t getting coated well. I use about a cup and a half. But, you may use more or less.
Make Dessert with Your Cereal:
- Peanut Butter Muddy Buddies
- Brownie Batter Cereal Mix
- White Chocolate and Peanut Butter Party Mix
- Chubby Hubby Rice Crispy Treats
- Cereal Cupcakes
- 9 cups crispy rice or corn cereal ( ex: Chex)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, for drizzle top
- In a large bowl, measure out dry cereal. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter, peanut butter, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a large plastic storage bag. Seal and toss lightly to mix. Unseal and add coated cereal and seal bag. Shake well until mixture in coated well.
- Spread coated cereal evenly on to a large flat rimmed baking sheet.
- In a saucepan or microwave, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips until smooth. Drizzle on top of coated cereal. Let it sit for about 30 minutes or until chocolate drizzle sets.
- Store leftovers in a covered container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 567Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 3gSugar: 36gProtein: 9g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate