Cookies and Cream Macarons- Change up your cookie baking routine and make a few macarons. They are light as air, made with the fun additional of chocolate sandwich cookies and creamy filling. The classic cookies and cream combination!
Macarons can be an intimidating cookie to make. Have no fear! All you need is a little patience, some confidence and the ability to accept a just ok looking macaron, if necessary.
- Almond Flour: Want to make it homemade? Find instructions here.
- Powdered Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Egg Whites
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies ( ex: Oreos)
- Additional for filling: Butter flavored shortening + milk
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies: : Your cookies will be split into two bowls. The first bowl will be for the filling. Simply scrape it out with a butter knife. The second bowl will be for the tops and bases of the cookies. These will be processed in a blender or food processor until you have finely ground crumbs.
A portion of the crumbs will be used in the cookie batter and another portion are used in the filling. If you have any leftover, store them in a covered container for future use.
Important Things to Remember When Making Macarons:
See detailed instructions in recipe card
- You must use almond flour, not regular AP flour.
- The purpose of whisking or sifting your dry ingredients is to remove any lumps . The less lumps= the smoother the cookies.
- Fold the flour mixture into your egg whites. Do not beat! Also, don’t dump all the flour mixture in at once, do it gradually.
- Same thing about the sugar going into your egg whites- –do it gradually.
- Don’t forget to smack your cookie sheets on the counter top before baking. This removes any air bubbles from the cookies. Also, they must be dry before baking. Lightly touching the tops will tell you if they are dry enough.
linking up and weekend potluck
Cookies and Cream Macarons
Cookies and Cream Macarons- Change up your cookie baking routine and make a few macarons. They are light as air made with the fun additional of chocolate sandwich cookies and creamy filling. The classic cookies and cream combination!
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies ( ex: Oreo or brand equivalent) --will be divided & crushed
- 3 eggs whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- cream filling from cookies
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 1 TBSP milk
- 1-2 TBSP cookie crumbs
- Separate cookie filling from cookie base/top. Scrape filling into a small bowl and set aside.
- Place cookie base and tops in a food processor or blender. Process until cookies are extra fine in texture.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond flour, powdered sugar, cookie crumbs and cocoa powder. Whisk well to remove any lumps. The less lumps will give you smoother cookies. If desired, you can use a sifter for this.
- In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Increase mixer speed a bit and gradually add in sugar. Do not add in sugar all at once...this could deflate your egg whites. Continue whipping egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold flour mixture into whipped egg whites. Do this gradually. Don’t add all the flour in at once. Also, be sure to fold..not beat in.
- Line a flat rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Fill a piping bag with cookie batter. With a round tip, pipe approx 1 1/2 inch circles on to the prepared cookie sheet.
- Give the cookie sheet a smack on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Then, let cookies sit for 15-20 minutes to dry.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bake 18-19 minutes. The cookies should have dry tops. Let cookies cool completely before removing from cookie sheet and adding filling.
- Make Filling: Beat filling ingredients until creamy and fully combined. Pipe or spread filling on the flat side of one cookie, then, top with another cookie, flat side down.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate