Lazy Homemade Doughnuts– It’s OK to be lazy with your baking sometimes, especially when you get a craving for doughnuts. All you need for these is a short list of ingredients and your imagination.
I got this idea from Instagram ( thank you Funetti!). It looked so darn easy and honestly, pretty tasty. Passing up them up was not an option.
I’m going to call these doughnuts. Are they actual doughnuts? No. They are hamburger buns.
But, if you add some creamy filling and top them off with icing and sprinkles? I think calling them doughnuts is then perfectly acceptable.
- Hamburger buns
- Powdered sugar
Hamburger Buns: I recommend using a good quality, brioche bun for these. A regular hamburger bun will do the trick, but, may not be as sweet or durable.
Frosting: Any flavor or brand will work. You will need to heat the frosting in the microwave ( or a saucepan) to thin it out. I transferred the frosting into a bowl, then, microwaved it. This made the dipping process easier. You can microwave the actual container of frosting, if desired. However, don’t forget to remove all the foil from the package before doing this!
Can I Use A Different Type of Bun?
- Yep. I actually used a package of brioche hot dog buns too. I did not add filling to them, simply adding the icing on top. They were quite yummy.
Do I Have to Use this Filling?
- No. If desired, you can fill them with your favorite filling. Go homemade or you can also use another can of frosting as the filling.
Need a few ideas for homemade filling or frosting? Check out the recipe index.
Love a Shortcut? Try these too:
- Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
- Pancake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Ice Cream Quick Bread
- Shortcut Skillet Salted Caramel Brownies
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- 14 oz canned frosting
- sprinkles, for topping, optional
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 TBSP butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Make Filling: In a mixing bowl, beat shortening and butter until creamy. Gradually add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until fully combined.
- If needed, cut hamburger buns in half. Frost the bottom half of the buns with filling.
- Spoon frosting into a large bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds or until frosting is thinned out and is easy to stir. Carefully dip the top half of the buns into the frosting, then, place on top of the filling.
- If desired, top with sprinkles. Let the chocolate set for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Keep any leftovers (filling, doughnuts and frosting) in the refrigerator. Frosting and filling should be covered.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1292Total Fat: 75gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 169mgSodium: 639mgCarbohydrates: 153gFiber: 2gSugar: 118gProtein: 8g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate