Chocolate Coconut Bars- Soft shortbread bars with a coconut base and a smooth chocolate topping. A sprinkling of shredded coconut is the perfect finishing touch.
- Flour + Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
📌 Pin it for Later
How to Make:
- First, make your dough. The base is a basic recipe, but, is on the thicker side. If you need a bit of helping spreading the dough into the pan, spray a silicone spatula lightly with cooking spray beforehand.
- Also, be sure your pan is greased well or you can line it with parchment paper.
- Bake your base and remove from the oven.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the chocolate chips until smooth. Then, spread on top of the finished base.
- If desired, you can melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Use a microwave safe bowl and do this in 30 second intervals, to prevent burning.
- Let the bars cool/chocolate set for at least an hour before cutting.
Storage: Store any leftover bars in a covered container in the refrigerator. These bars will freeze well too! Keep them in a freezer safe, covered container/storage bag. They will stay good for 2-3 months.
Toasting Coconut Option:
- If desired, you can toast your coconut. It’s not required, but, it’s an option. If you want to give it a whirl, see the below instructions:
- In a skillet over medium heat, add your desired amount of shredded coconut. Give it a light toss. Continue cooking and mixing frequently until the coconut is browned. This should only take about 5-8 minutes, so, keep a close eye on it. I used unsweetened shredded coconut, but, a sweetened version will brown even quicker.
- You can also use your oven: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread the shredded coconut in a thin layer, on a flat rimmed baking sheet. Bake just 5-8 minutes or until brown. Again, keep a close eye on it, to prevent burning
Love Coconut? Try these too:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add in egg, sugar, baking powder and flour. Beat to combine. Stir in coconut.
- Spread into prepared pan. Bake 20-30 minutes or until edges are brown.
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate chip until smooth. Spread on top of baked bars. Then, sprinkle chocolate with shredded coconut.
- Let bars cool for at least an hour before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate