Coconut Snack Cake- A moist cake filled with shredded coconut, then, topped with a creamy buttercream frosting. It’s finished off with crunchy toasted coconut for an easy and delicious dessert!
I have to be honest. I’m not a huge fan of coconut, neither are my kids. My husband does like it, but, mostly, in desserts.
Now, cake? Love it. The entire family. Especially, cake with creamy frosting.
To incorporate that so-so love of coconut and the big love of cake, I made a snack cake! It’s a perfect balance. Plus, this cake is great for a small gathering or just when you want a bit of coconut cake without a bunch of work.
What Ingredients are Needed?
- Flour + Salt+ Baking powder
- Butter: softened
- Egg whites
- Vanilla/Coconut extract ( see below recipe note)
- Shredded coconut
- Additional for frosting: Powdered sugar
Recipe Notes: If you do not have any coconut extract on hand, that’s fine! The shredded coconut will still give you a nice coconut flavor. Replace the coconut extract with vanilla.
Be sure your butter is softened for the cake & frosting. This will give them both their fluffy texture.
Don’t over mix your batter. Beat just until it’s fully combined. Also, your batter will be on the thicker side.
The toasted coconut topping is optional. The cake with just the frosting is still really delicious. If you are looking to cut back on the coconut, simply omit the topping or use just a small amount.
How to Toast Coconut:
In a skillet over medium heat, add your desired amount of shredded coconut. Give it a light toss. Continue cooking and mixing frequently until the coconut is browned. This should only take about 5-8 minutes, so, keep a close eye on it. I used unsweetened shredded coconut, but, a sweetened version will brown even quicker.
You can also use your oven: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread the shredded coconut in a thin layer, on a flat rimmed baking sheet. Bake just 5-8 minutes or until brown. Again, keep a close eye on it, to prevent burning.
linking up and weekend potluck
Coconut Snack Cake
Coconut Snack Cake- A moist cake filled with shredded coconut, then, topped with a creamy buttercream frosting. It's finished off with crunchy toasted coconut for an easy and delicious dessert!
- FOR CAKE:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP milk
- 1 tsp coconut extract ( or vanilla)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Then, add in egg white and vanilla. Beat until combined. Gradually add in flour mixture and milk. Alternating between the two. Stir in shredded coconut.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter until creamy. Gradually, add in powdered sugar, coconut extract and milk. Beat until fluffy and desired consistency has been reached.
FOR TOASTED COCONUT:
- In a skillet, cook coconut over medium heat, mixing frequently. Continue cooking until coconut is browned. This should only take about 5 minutes..keep a close eye on it.
- Sprinkle on top of frosted cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 157mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 2gSugar: 45gProtein: 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate