Cold Oven Brown Sugar Pound Cake- A creamy buttery pound cake that starts in a cold oven. A drizzle of caramel sauce is the perfect finishing touch.
This is one mammoth pound cake that we are sharing today. Let’s jump right in!
- Flour + Salt + Baking Soda + Baking Powder
- Sugars: Brown & White
- Oil ( Canola or vegetable)
- Plain Greek yogurt ( or sour cream)
- Caramel Sauce
What Does Cold Oven Mean? Normally, you will preheat your oven before baking. However, with a cold oven cake, you don’t. You literally place your pan filled with batter into a cold oven. Then, you turn on the oven temperature and bake.
This pound cake is very heavy and doesn’t rise much. Starting it in a cold oven will let it rise slowly, along with the oven temp.
Homemade Caramel Sauce: I have included a link to my favorite ( and very easy) homemade caramel sauce recipe in the recipe card. If desired, use your own recipe or favorite store bought brand.
Pan Size: You will need 10-12 cup bundt (fluted) pan for this cake. If you don’t have one, the batter will also fit into 2- 8/9 inch loaf pans.
Tips for a Perfect Bundt Removal:
- Use a generous amount of non stick baking spray. You can also use a good old fashion stick of butter to grease it too or use a cooking spray with flour included in. See recipe card for my preferred brand.
- Make sure your cake is well cooled before attempting to remove it. Let it sit 10-15 minutes beforehand. Gently, take a sharp knife and run it along the edge and middle of the cake.
- Tip the cake upside down on a plate. Be sure the plate is larger than your cake. Let the cake fall naturally and if it’s still stubborn, give the bottom of your cake pan a gentle tap.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Caramel sauce ( for topping)
- Generously grease a 10-12 cup bundt pan. DO NOT preheat oven.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter for 5 minutes on medium speed. Add in oil, both sugars, yogurt and vanilla. Beat to combine.
- Add in eggs, one at a time. Mix each egg completely before adding the next.
- Gradually add in flour mixture and beat just until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Place pan in cold oven, then, heat temperature to 325 degrees. Bake for 60-90 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Your cake is quite deep. Be sure to insert knife quite a ways down.
- Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.
- To remove: Run a sharp knife along the edge of pan. Then, carefully invert the cake on top of a larger plate. Let the cake fall naturally. Once removed, cool completely on wire rack.
- Drizzle top with caramel sauce.
- adapted from A Southern Grace
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 1gSugar: 59gProtein: 10g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate