Angel Food Cupcakes- The classic light as a feather cake made in cupcake form. These easy cupcakes are not only delicious, but, fat free!
If you are looking for a great way to eat a cupcake and not feel any guilt…today’s recipe is going to make you pretty darn happy.
- Flour+ Salt
- Egg whites
- Lemon juice
Frosting? OK, full disclosure⇢ ⇢ These cupcakes pictured are fat free without the frosting. Yes, I’m sorry for any confusion. I frosted ours with a chocolate buttercream. But, there are other options to top these and still keep your fat content low.
Less Guilt Topping Ideas:
- Dusting of powdered sugar or cocoa powder
- Low fat or fat free whipped topping ( ex: Cool Whip) or whipped cream
- Fresh fruit
- Drizzle of chocolate syrup
A few recipe notes:
I didn’t have any cream of tartar on hand, so, used lemon juice in place of it to stabilize the egg whites. If you have cream of tartar, it can be used instead of the lemon juice. You will need just 1/4 of a teaspoon.
When adding the sugar into your egg whites, do it gradually. You could deflate them if too much is added all at once.
Beat your egg whites until medium peaks are reached. They should be a shiny white color and thick once they are ready.
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 6 or 12 count muffin pan with liners.
- In bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and 2 TBSP sugar. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer with whisk attachment, whisk egg whites until foamy. Then, increase speed slightly and add in lemon juice.
- Continue whipping and add in the 1/4 cup of sugar. Add in 1 tablespoon at a time and continue whipping until medium peaks form. Add in vanilla.
- Gently fold the flour/sugar mixture into whipped egg whites. Do this gradually.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or tops spring back when touched. small note: these won't rise much
- Cool completely before frosting.
- adapted from homemade in the kitchen
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 43Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate