Chocolate Sandwich Cookies! Crisp chocolate cookies with a creamy vanilla filling. Just like the classic packaged version!
Happy New Week! It’s time for chocolate cookies.
These cookies are just like the classic chocolate sandwich cookies ( psst..Oreos) and are just right for your holiday cookie swap this year.
- Flour + Salt
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Egg + Vanilla
- Additional for Filling:
- Powdered sugar + Butter flavored shortening + Milk
➝ No, you do not need any leavening ingredients. This will give your cookies a nice snap/crisp to them.
Make Your Cookies: First, mix the batter. Then, take about a tablespoon of dough and roll it into a 1 inch ball. Place it on the baking sheet. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Next, using a glass, flattened those 1 inch balls. You want the cookies to be about 1/2 inch thick. Don’t fret if they aren’t exactly that size. Just do your best to get them all at the same thickness. Dip the bottom of the glass in cocoa powder or spray lightly with non stick cooking spray before doing this, to avoid the glass sticking to the dough.
Then, bake. Once they are done, let them cool completely before adding the filling.
Finally, make your filling. Spread the filling on one cookie, top it with another cookie. Yippee! It’s a cookie sandwich!
Why is Your Filling Green? Is it Mint?
No, my filling is not mint, but, it is green. I thought it would look a little festive for the season. 🎄 However, if you wish to make yours mint, just add a teaspoon of mint/peppermint extract into your frosting while beating.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 TBSP milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a flat rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper of silicone mats.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Then, add in egg, vanilla and water. Gradually, add in flour and cocoa powder and beat until combined.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet. With the bottom of a glass, gently flattened the cookies. Be sure all the cookies are about the same thickness. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let them cool completely before adding filling.
- Beat filling ingredients until fully combined and creamy. Spread filling on one cookie, then, top with another cookie to create a sandwich.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate