Death by Chocolate Poke Cake- Chocolate cake poked while warm and topped with a smooth chocolate glaze. Finally, it’s topped with a thick layer of chocolate buttercream frosting and mini chocolate chips. A chocolate lovers dream!
- Chocolate cake mix + ingredients called for on box
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Cake Mix: Any brand or chocolate variety will work for this cake. Be sure to stick with a standard size ( approx 15-18 oz) box and you will be OK. You will also need any ingredients called for on the box.
How to Make:
- First, prepare the cake for a 13 x 9 cake pan, as directed on the box. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, melt the chocolate chips with the sweetened condensed milk. This can be done in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove top. If you opt for the microwave, do this in 30 second intervals, to prevent burning. Whichever option you choose, keep a good eye on it..it can burn pretty easily.
- After cooling for a few minutes, with the end of a wooden spoon ( or rounded instrument), poke holes on top of the entire cake.
- Then, spread the melted chocolate mix on top.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour. If desired, you can refrigerate it for longer.
- When you are ready, frost the cooled cake and sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips.
Storage: Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator.
A look back:
- Recipes Using Self Rising Flour
- Darn Good Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lemon Glazed Muffins
- Yogurt Banana Bread
linking up and weekend potluck
Death by Chocolate Poke Cake
Death by Chocolate Poke Cake- Chocolate cake poked while warm and topped with a smooth chocolate glaze. Finally, it's topped with a thick layer of chocolate buttercream frosting and mini chocolate chips. A chocolate lovers dream!
- 1- standard size box, chocolate cake mix, and ingredients called for on box
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 TBSP milk
- mini chocolate chips, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Prepare cake according to box instructions. Remove and let it cool for just 10-15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, melt the chocolate chips with the sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
- With the end of a wooden spoon, gently poke holes in the top of the warm cake. Be sure to poke the entire top of the cake.
- Spread the melted chocolate mixture on top of the warm cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for 1 hour to cool and for the chocolate to absorb into the cake.
- Prepare Frosting: Beat butter and shortening until fluffy. Gradually add in cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Beat until fully combined. Add in milk and beat until desired consistency is reached. Frost on cooled cake. Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 114mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 47gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate