Yellow Cake for Two is just right for a small crowd. Soft, buttery and lathered with a decadent chocolate buttercream frosting. Don’t forget the sprinkles!
I recently purchased a small 6 inch cake pan. Since, my family is pretty large ( 7 of us total ), making an actual cake in it seemed like a silly idea.
So, I attempted several times to make Instant Pot (pressure cooker) brownies in the pan instead. They were a disaster!
I’ll keep trying to make the brownies, but, for now, to get use of the pan, I did decide to make a cake in it. The reason- even though every one in my family may not get a slice, well, it’s still cake and cake is always a good thing. 😉
This Yellow Cake for Two is great for a small group/party or if you are trying to practice a little portion control for your sweet tooth.
Your Supply List:
- 6 inch cake pan + non sticking cooking spray or butter to grease
- Electric mixer + mixing bowl
- Medium size bowl + whisk
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Spatula or utensil for frosting
Just a few notes:
- If you wish to frost with vanilla buttercream, check out this recipe.
- Be sure your butter is softened for the cake and frosting. This will give both their fluffy/soft texture. If you want to speed up your softening: Cut the butter into chunks and sit it close to the warm stove.
- Be sure to cool your cake completely before frosting and store any leftovers in your refrigerator.
- Your frosting will be a bit soft when first made, but, will firm up as it sets.
- If you don’t have any buttermilk, stir a teaspoon of vinegar into the 1/3 cup and let it sit for 5 minutes before adding to batter.
- FOR CAKE:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 6 TBSP butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- FOR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- dash of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBSP milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 6 inch cake pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Gradually, add in buttermilk and flour mixture. Alternating between the two. Mix until combined.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To Make frosting : Beat butter until fluffy. Then, add remaining ingredients and beat until fully combined and creamy. Frost on cooled cake. Store any leftovers in covered container in refrigerator.
- Adapted from homemade in the kitchen
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 792Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 586mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 2gSugar: 53gProtein: 9g