Yellow Cake for Two is just right for a small crowd. Soft, buttery and lathered with a decadent chocolate buttercream frosting. Don’t forget the sprinkles!
I recently purchased a small 6 inch cake pan. Since, my family is pretty large ( 7 of us total ), making an actual cake in it seemed like a silly idea.
So, I attempted several times to make Instant Pot (pressure cooker) brownies in the pan instead. They were a disaster!
I’ll keep trying to make the brownies, but, for now, to get use of the pan, I did decide to make a cake in it. The reason- even though every one in my family may not get a slice, well, it’s still cake and cake is always a good thing. 😉
This Yellow Cake for Two is great for a small group/party or if you are trying to practice a little portion control for your sweet tooth.
Your Supply List:
- 6 inch cake pan + non sticking cooking spray or butter to grease
- Electric mixer + mixing bowl
- Medium size bowl + whisk
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Spatula or utensil for frosting
Just a few notes:
- If you wish to frost with vanilla buttercream, check out this recipe.
- Be sure your butter is softened for the cake and frosting. This will give both their fluffy/soft texture. If you want to speed up your softening: Cut the butter into chunks and sit it close to the warm stove.
- Be sure to cool your cake completely before frosting and store any leftovers in your refrigerator.
- Your frosting will be a bit soft when first made, but, will firm up as it sets.
- If you don’t have any buttermilk, stir a teaspoon of vinegar into the 1/3 cup and let it sit for 5 minutes before adding to batter.
- FOR CAKE:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 6 TBSP butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- FOR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- dash of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBSP milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 6 inch cake pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Gradually, add in buttermilk and flour mixture. Alternating between the two. Mix until combined.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To Make frosting : Beat butter until fluffy. Then, add remaining ingredients and beat until fully combined and creamy. Frost on cooled cake. Store any leftovers in covered container in refrigerator.
- Adapted from homemade in the kitchen
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 792Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 586mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 2gSugar: 53gProtein: 9g