Crème fraîche Bundt Cake with Crème fraîche icing–A moist, buttery cake made with dreamy Crème fraîche and topped with a sweet icing made with the creamy mixture and lemon juice.
Let’s get right to this cake!
It’s creamy, moist and just all around fabulous.
First up, what is Crème fraîche?
- Crème fraîche is soured dairy product. It starts with starter culture and cream, plus, it has a higher fat content than regular sour cream. It is also a bit less tangy than sour cream.
It can be a bit costly to purchase. But, no worries! It’s easy to make homemade and you can save yourself a little cash.
Homemade Crème fraîche: In a mason jar, combine 2 cups whipping cream with 3 tablespoons buttermilk. Cover with a cheesecloth or a cotton towel with the band of the jar. Let it sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Then, remove cloth and give the mixture a stir. Place the lid on the jar and refrigerate for 24 hours. This will give you approx 1 cup.
Can I Use Sour Cream Instead?
- Yes, you can. However, your cake may have a tangier taste to it. The texture of your cake may also be different.
This cake is, yes, a bundt cake. You will need a 9-10 inch bundt pan for baking. You can find my favorite bundt pan in the recipe card. If you have trouble removing cakes from your bundt pans, I have a few tips for you. ↧↧
- Use a generous amount of non stick baking spray. You can also use a good old fashion stick of butter to grease it too or use a cooking spray with flour (affiliate link) included in.
- Make sure your cake is well cooled before attempting to remove it. Gently, take a sharp knife and run it along the edge and middle of the cake.
- Tip the cake upside down on a plate. Be sure the plate is larger than your cake. Let the cake fall naturally and if it’s still stubborn, give the bottom of your cake pan a gentle tap.
Serve with a fresh berries and extra icing..it’s delicious-
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Generously grease a 9-10 inch bundt pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Then, beat in eggs, one at a time, beat well after each one is added. Add in vanilla and beat to combined. Be sure to occasionally scrape down sides of your mixing bowl.
- Fold in half of the flour mixture (do not use mixer) with a silicone spatula. Then, fold in creme fraiche and combine. Finally, fold in the remainder of the flour mixture and fold in until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.
- To remove: Run a sharp knife along the edge of pan. Then, carefully invert the cake on top of a larger plate. Let the cake fall naturally. Once removed, cool completely on wire rack.
- To Make Icing: Whisk together ingredients in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add/subtract lemon juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle on cake before serving.
- Keep any leftovers in refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 1gSugar: 60gProtein: 8g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate