Strawberry Hand Pies- Portable pastry pies bursting with sweet strawberries!
These hand pies are easy to make and are just right for berry season.
- Flour + Salt
- Butter (cold)
- Additional for Filling: Strawberries + Cornstarch + Lemon juice
Do I Have to Use this Dough Recipe? No. You will need enough dough that is equivalent to two 9 inch pie crusts. You can use you favorite homemade recipe or a store bought crust. Whatever works best for you!
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries? Yes. Just be sure they are not whole. You will need to cut up the strawberries, so, if using whole frozen strawberries, just let them defrost slightly and give them a chop.
Do I Have to Use Strawberries? Of course not! These pies will work for any type of berry.
A few notes:
For this dough recipe, you will need to let it sit in the fridge for one hour. Don’t forget!
When making the filling, keep a close eye on the saucepan. It should only take about 5-8 minutes, but, it will burn quickly. You will also want it to come to room temperature before adding to the pies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 TBSP sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP cold milk
- 1 2/3 cup strawberries, chopped
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- coarse sugar, optional, for topping
- 1 egg, beaten, for sealing and topping
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Work in butter until medium size lumps form. Mix in egg and milk until dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into two separate pieces and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Toss strawberries with lemon juice, then, let them sit for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, add in strawberries, sugar and cornstarch. Cook mixture for 5-8 minutes until thicken., stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a flat rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or slip mats.
- On a well floured surface, roll out each piece of dough into about a 9 x 12 rectangle. Then, cut out 9 smaller rectangles from each larger rectangle.
- Spoon equal amount of filling into 9 of the small rectangles. Then, brush sides with beaten egg.
- With a sharp knife, cut small vents in the remaining 9 rectangles of dough. Place a vented dough on top of filling. Repeat with remainder of of vented dough rectangles.
- Crimp the edges of each pie with a fork. Then, brush tops with beaten egg and if desired, coarse sugar.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 25-28 minutes or until brown. Let them cool 20-30 before removing from baking sheet.
- Refrigerate leftovers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate