Soft Sugar Cookies- Simple, soft sugar cookies that can be served plain or dressed up for the holidays!
Sugar cookies are a staple when it comes to the holiday season. They are great for eating, sharing and giving as a homemade gift. They are also extremely versatile and can be dressed up ( or down) in any old way you wish.
- Flour + Baking soda + Baking powder
- Butter- softened
How to Make: Start by beating your softened butter with sugar, then, add in eggs and vanilla. Beat it all until it’s creamy.
Next, gradually add in the dry ingredients and beat just until dough forms. Form the dough into individual 1 inch ( approx) size balls, place on the cookie sheet. then, bake. Easy peasy!
A few notes:
- If you wish to coat your cookies in sugar or sprinkles, roll the balls of dough in the desired toppings, then, place on the cookie sheet and bake as per the recipe.
- Be sure your butter is softened before using. This will give your cookies their texture.
- If you wish to dip your cookies in chocolate: Melt 1-2 cups of chocolate chips ( the amount will depend on how many cookies you wish to dip) until smooth. Dip the desired area of your completely cooled cookie in the melted chocolate, then, place on a parchment paper line flat rimmed baking sheet to set. This can be done at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Topping the melted chocolate? Sprinkle the top with sprinkles, chopped candies or nuts, etc….just be sure to do this before the chocolate sets.
- You can also stir in any desired add ins: chocolate chips, dried fruit or nuts.
Used in this Recipe:
- Green and red crystal sugar
- Dark chocolate chips
- Food dye gel
- Red and green jimmies ( sprinkles)
- Writing Gel Icing
- Vanilla Frosting
- 2-3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a flat rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or slip mats.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside. In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Gradually blend in flour mixture until dough forms.
- Form dough into approx 1 in balls and place on cooking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until brown on edges.
- Let cookies cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet. Then, cool completely if you are frosting or dipping in chocolate.
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 89mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate