Hot Cocoa Cupcakes– Chocolate cupcakes made with real hot cocoa mix and topped with a creamy marshmallow meringue frosting!
Love cupcakes? Follow my cupcake board on Pinterest!
Chocolaty and fluffy! Hot Cocoa Cupcakes for the holiday season are a winner.
- Flour + Baking powder + Baking soda + Salt
- Dry hot cocoa mix
- Melted butter
- Chocolate chips
- Boiling water
- Egg whites
- Cream of tartar
- Marshmallow fluff
A few recipe notes: If you wish to make your marshmallow fluff homemade, check out this recipe.
Be sure your boiling water is good and hot. Of course, be careful, but, it needs to be hot enough to melt your chocolate chips.
This recipe makes 18 cupcakes, not your standard 12.
No cream of tartar on hand? Use vinegar or lemon juice as a replacement.
No buttermilk? Stir in a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to your 3/4 cup of milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes before adding to the batter.
How to Make Marshmallow Meringue:
Whip your egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Then, gradually ( about a tablespoon at a time), add in marshmallow fluff. Don’t add it all in at once! This may flatten your egg whites.
Continue beating until stiff peaks form and the egg whites are glossy white. If you hold your whisk attachment up straight, the egg whites should not drip off. Frost on your cooled cupcakes.
If desired, you can place the cupcakes under a preheated broiler for a few seconds to brown the meringue. You can also use a kitchen torch to do this.
- FOR CUPCAKES:
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup hot cocoa dry mix ( no marshmallows)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 7 oz marshmallow fluff
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together chocolate chips with hot cocoa mix. Pour in boiling water and whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add in melted butter and melted chocolate/cocoa mixture and beat until combined.
- Gradually add in flour mixture and buttermilk. Alternating between the two. Mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat egg white and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Increase speed and gradually, add in marshmallow fluff whiling beating. Do not add all the fluff in at once. This will flatten your meringue.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form and your egg whites are glossy white.
- Spread on top of cooled cupcakes.
- If desired, brown the meringue with a kitchen torch or place under a preheated broiler for only a few seconds to brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate