Maple Sugar Meringues- Light as air cookies with a sweet taste and crisp crunch.
My kids like to call these “air cookies”. I can see why..they are light as air. Plus, they are really amazing and honestly, quite addicting.
Try and eat just one of these? Yeah, that’ll happen. 🤨
What ingredients are needed? All you need are egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, salt and maple syrup. Oh, and if you wish, coarse sugar for the topping. This is optional, but, does give them a little extra sparkle.
Can I Use Regular Maple Sugar Instead? Yes. I do know that maple sugar is not always available in some areas, so, I opted for this option. However, if you can get your hands on real maple sugar, feel free to use instead. Simply replace the white sugar with the maple sugar and omit the maple syrup/extract.
How to Make Meringues:
- First, let your egg whites come to room temperature. This will help your egg whites come together faster and better.
- Next, mix your sugar with the maple syrup. Set aside.
- Now, start whipping your egg whites. Use a whisk attachment with your electric mixer and start at medium speed. Add in cream of tartar and salt. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Once the soft peaks are formed, start adding in the sugar/maple syrup mixture. Do this gradually.…about a tablespoon at a time. Adding the sugar too fast with deflate your egg whites.
- Continue whipping until stiff peaks are formed and the egg whites have a glossy finish.
- Scoop or pipe the meringue on top a prepared baking sheet. They should be 1-2 tablespoons of meringue. Then, if desired, sprinkle tops with coarse sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour. Then, turn off the oven and let them sit in the oven for at least 1 hour…do not open oven! Check them after the hour to check their texture. If the tops are fully dried, remove them. If not, leave in for additional time.
A few things to note:
- If you don’t have maple syrup on hand, maple extract can also be used.
- Store meringues in a covered container at room temperature.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP maple syrup ( or maple extract)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- coarse sugar, for topping
- In a bowl, whisk together sugar and maple syrup until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two flat rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- With an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed, then, add in cream of tartar and salt. Continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Then, gradually, add in sugar/syrup mixture ( about 1 tablespoons at a time) and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Your egg whites should have a glossy finish.
- Scoop or pipe the meringue on top a prepared baking sheet. They should be about the size of 1-2 tablespoons. Then, if desired, sprinkle tops with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour. Then, turn off oven and let the meringues sit in the oven for at least 1 hour, without opening the oven. When meringues are done, they should be dry to the touch.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 10Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate