Vanilla Butter Cake with Honey Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting – A fluffy vanilla cake made with creamy butter and brown sugar. The frosting is a delicious combination of honey and cinnamon for a dreamy finishing touch.
- Flour + Salt + Baking soda + Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Powdered sugar
- Ground cinnamon
Brown Sugar: None on hand? You can use coconut palm sugar.
Plain Greek Yogurt: Sour cream can be used as a replacement.
Vanilla: If desired, you can use a vanilla bean in place of the vanilla extract. Want to know how to slice and scrape a vanilla bean? A little help. 😉
A few recipe notes:
- Be sure not to over mix your cake batter. After adding in the dry ingredients, simply fold them into the wet ingredients. Don’t beat! You goal is to eliminate any dry spots in the batter. This will help give your cake a light and fluffy texture.
- The below frosting recipe makes about 2 cups of frosting. Be sure to keep any leftover frosting in a covered container in the refrigerator. Use within 2-3 days
- If desired, you can use an 8 inch square baking dish for this cake. Your baking time may need to be slightly increased.
- The cake pictured is garnished with coarse raw turbinado sugar and a drizzle of honey.
Vanilla Lover? Try these Too:
- Baked Vanilla Bean Doughnuts
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Vanilla Cockeyed Cake
- Vanilla Bean Scones
- Vanilla Roll Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch round pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add in brown sugar and eggs. Beat to combine. Then, add in yogurt and vanilla. Beat to combine.
- Add in flour mixture and fold in until no dry spots remain. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening until creamy. Add in ground cinnamon, vanilla and honey. Beat to combine.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, then, milk. Continue beating until frosting is fluffy and desired consistency is reached.
- Frost on cooled cake.
- Store any leftover frosting in a covered container in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 6g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate