Salted Caramel Pretzel Thumbprint Cookies! Soft as a pillow! These cookies are rolled in crunchy pretzels, then, topped with dulce de leche and coarse sea salt. YUM!!
These cookies have been a family favorite for the last few years. I found this recipe while participating in a now defunct blogging group and instantly fell in love with them.
They are a soft butter cookie that have a crunchy pretzel crust. Of course, my favorite part is the nice hefty dollop of dulce de leche right on top. Oh, and let’s not forget the coarse sea salt!
Ingredients You Need:
- Flour + salt
- Honey + Vanilla
- Dulce de leche
- Coarse sea salt
Make Those Cookies! First, crush your pretzels. Any type of pretzel will work! The easiest way to do this is toss them in a plastic storage bag and crush with a cup or a rolling pin. They don’t have to be crushed into dust, but, you do want the pieces on the smaller side.
Next, make your batter. Make sure your butter is nice and soft. This will give you a soft, pillowy cookie. Once made, place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. The dough is a bit of the soft side, so, refrigerating it for a bit will make it easier to handle.
When ready, scoop the dough and form into a ball. They should be about the size of a walnut. Roll each ball of dough in the crushed pretzels.
Once placed on the baking sheet, gently press your thumb in the middle of the cookie. This will create a well. They are ready to bake!
Once fully baked, you may notice your nice little wells are gone. That’s OK. Just take a spoon and lightly press into the cookie to do it again.
Let them cool completely! Then, spoon a dollop of dulce de leche into that nifty little well you created. Finally, sprinkle a bit of coarse sea salt on top.
Holy Moly…these are good. Try not to eat too many in one sitting-
More Salted Caramel Love:
- Salted Caramel Apple Cookies
- Salted Caramel Pie
- Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Layer Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBSP honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- 2 cups flour
- coarse sea salt, for topping
- 2 cups pretzels, broken into pieces
- 14 oz dulce de leche
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then, add in eggs, honey and vanilla. Beat until combined. Gradually, add in flour and salt and mix until semi firm.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a flat rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or mats.
- Add broken pretzels into a small bowl. Scoop dough and roll into balls about the size of a walnut. Roll dough in pretzel pieces and place on prepared baking sheet approx 1-2 in apart. Gently press your thumb in the middle of the cookie to form a small well.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly brown. You may need to gently press with a spoon to form well again.
- Cool completely. Then, spoon a dollop of dulce de leche in the middle of the cookie and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- adapted from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate