Doctored Cake Mix- Dress up a regular box of cake mix and create a cake that is worthy of a local bakery. This recipe will work with any flavor cake mix and gives you a moist cake that is too good to pass up.
Just a short time ago, I shared a recipe for homemade yellow cake mix. While I do love that recipe, I do still purchase a box of cake mix, especially when they are on sale.
This recipe will dress up that box of cake mix and give you one amazing tasting dessert.
- Dry cake mix
- Instant pudding mix
- Sour cream
Will this Work for Any Flavor Cake Mix?
- Yes. Any flavor will work with this. Just remember to use a standard size (15-18 oz) box.
Instant Pudding: Make sure your pudding is instant, not cook and serve. Also, you will only be using the dry pudding mix, not preparing it.
Sour Cream: If desired, you can replace this with plain Greek yogurt.
Oil: Use a neutral tasting oil (canola/sunflower/vegetable, etc). If you wish, this can be replaced with melted butter. Let the butter cool for about 5 minutes before adding it to the batter.
What About Frosting?
- Use your favorite canned ( yes, this is perfectly acceptable!) or recipe. Need a few ideas? Check out the frosting section of our recipe index.
- 1 box, standard cake mix
- 3 oz box instant pudding dry mix
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup neutral tasting oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- dash of salt
- splash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2- 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together dry cake mix, dry pudding mix with oil, sour cream, milk, vanilla and salt. Beat well to combine. Then, add in eggs. Mix in each egg completely before adding in the next egg.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two prepared pans. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely before frosting.
- If desired, you can use this batter to make a 9 x 13 cake or 24 cupcakes. Refer to the cake mix box for baking times.
This page contains links from the Amazon, Thrive Market or Target Affiliate Programs. If an item(s) are purchased through an affiliate link, Big Green House earns a small percentage of the sale. See our Disclosure for further information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 624Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 9g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate