Chocolate Filled Cream Puffs! Easy baked pastry shells stuffed full of fluffy chocolate filling and topped with a chocolate ganache.
These come from my mom’s stash of recipes . She made these all through my childhood during the holidays. Yum..so good.
- Flour + Salt + Water
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Unsweetened chopped chocolate
- Egg yolks
- Whole milk
- Chocolate chips
- Whipping cream
- Corn syrup
- Light corn syrup is preferred for this one.
- I like to use dark chocolate chips. However, regular semi sweet will work just fine for these.
Do I Have to Fill These With Chocolate?
- Nope! These cream puffs are really versatile and can be filled with any flavor filling. If you want to go simple, use homemade whipped cream or whipped topping (ex Cool Whip). You can also fill them with custard or pudding!
- That goes the same for the topping. If desired, you can omit the chocolate ganache and simply eat these with just the filling.
- It’s not an error in the recipe…you bake these on an un-greased baking sheet. This helps the puffs get their puffiness.
- After baking, you will poke the tops of the cream puffs very lightly with a toothpick. Try not to forget this step…it will keep you puffs from flattening.
- Do not fill your shells until they are completely cooled.
- Cream puffs will start to deflate a bit if they are kept at room temperature too long. That means, after filling, refrigerate immediately until you are ready to serve them.
Keep them in an airtight container/storage bag in the refrigerator or freezer. If they are in the fridge, use them within 24 hours. If they are stored in the freezer, they will be good for a couple of months.
Keep them in an airtight covered container in the refrigerator. They are best eaten within 2-3 days. I do not recommend freezing the filled puffs.
Try These Filled Desserts Too
- Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Chocolate Filling
- Cream Filled Sugar Doughnuts
- Peanut Butter Filled Granola Cups
- Caramel Filled Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups
FOR CREAM PUFFS:
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick butter)
- 1 cup water
- dash of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 TBSP cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 TBSP butter
FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE TOPPING:
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
MAKE CREAM PUFFS:
- Preheat oven to oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt butter with water and salt. Increase heat and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and mix in flour, beating vigorously.
- Transfer mixture to a electric mixture and beat in eggs. Add eggs in one at a time and beat well after each one. Beat final batter for about 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Drop dough by the spoon full on a un-greased baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until puffs are lightly browned. Remove from oven and lightly poke each one with a toothpick, to let steam escape. Then, let them cool completely before adding filling.
MAKE CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, whisk together milk and cocoa powder until smooth. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Remove about a 1/3 cup of the milk/cocoa powder mixture and stir into egg yolks mixture. Then, return the mixture into the saucepan and continue cooking over medium heat until thicken,stirring continually. Remove from heat and stir in butter and chopped chocolate.
- Let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes, then, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to set.
MAKE CHOCOLATE GANACHE TOPPING:
- In a heat proof bowl, add in chocolate chips and corn syrup. Set aside. In a saucepan, heat whipping cream until it simmers. Carefully pour the heated cream into the bowl of chocolate chips and mix until it's smooth and chocolate is completely melted.
ASSEMBLE CREAM PUFFS:
- Cut tops off of cooled cream puffs. Spread desired amount of filling on bottom and place top back on. Drizzle tops with chocolate ganache
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on abiggreenhouse.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate